Winter Sports and Outdoor Life Conference
Telemark University College and the Norwegian Sports Federation have the pleasure to invite you to a conference on the history of outdoor winter sports from February 23 – 26, 2011. Conference abstracts are due September 15, 2010.
In 2011 the Norwegian Sports Federation celebrates its 150th anniversary, and this conference is part of the celebration. Our conference is also supported by ISHPES. More information about the conference can be found at: http://www.hit.no/ski-seminar
Norway will simultaneously be inviting the skiing world to the FIS World Championship in Nordic Skiing in Oslo. After the conference we will help provide tickets to events on the Sunday after the end of the conference. Please check the program at: www.oslo2011.no.
We know that several researchers worldwide are heading for Telemark in 2011. We hope a winter confe¬rence in the heart of Telemark, Norway, will be of interest. We have included an afternoon trip to Mor¬gedal during the time you are here. www.morgedal.com
The conference locations at our university college (www.hit.no) have modern facilities, and coffee breaks and lunches will be served on campus. The Bø Hotel (www.bohotell.no) is situated just a three minutes walk away and will host most of you (70 + rooms). If you already are planning to attend the conference, we suggest that you book a hotel room as soon as possible. We aim to make this conference a social and warm event to be remembered. Bø Hotel will be the centre of social activities.
Call for papers will be announced soon. Please follow the instructions and respect the dates for both abstracts and papers. Vest-Telemark Museum has decided to sponsor the final report. We promise that an edited proceedings of accepted papers will be available some months after the conference.
Any questions regarding the conference shoul be sent to Kjærsti Skjeldal at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We wish you a warm welcome to winter Telemark, Norway in 2011!
From the conference committee: Gerd von der Lippe, Jan Ove Tangen, Pål Augestad, Andre Horgen and Halvor Kleppen.
Main topic: Winter sports and outdoor life
Conference Abstracts are due by September 15, 2010. Abstracts should be no more than 250 words in English. The abstract should include the research question that the paper will address, the methodological approach and maximum 5 keywords that reflect the content. Please e-mail the proposal to: email@example.com
* Olympic games in winter times
* Skiing myths and skiing history
* Winter sports: a gender perspective
* Winter sports, technology and performance enhancing
* Media and winter sports
* Winter sports and national identities
* Politics of winter games
* Polar expeditions
* Terret Thierry, professor at the University of Lyon, France
* Annette Hoffmann, president of ISHPES and professor at Pädagogische Hochschule Ludwigsburg, Germany
* Dr. E. John B. Allen, professor emeritus of history at Plymouth State University, USA
* Thor Gotaas, author and folklorist, Norway
* Professor Matti Goksøyr, The Norwegian School of Sport Sciences, Oslo, Norway
* Professor Gerd von der Lippe, Telemark University College, Bø i Telemark, Norway
* Professor Sigmund Loland, The Norwegian School of Sport Sciences, Oslo, Norway
* Professor Jan Ove Tangen, Telemark University College, Bø i Telemark, Norway
* Dr. Leif Yttergren, The Swedish School of Sport and Health Sciences, Stockholm, Sweden
The conference is coordinated by The Norwegian Centre for Culture and Sports Research, Bø i Tele¬mark, Norway in cooperation with The Norwegian Confederation of Sports (NIF) and Telemark Uni¬versity College with support from The International Society for the History of Physical Education and Sports (ISHPES), International Skiing History Association (ISHA), Telemark County and The Municipality of Bø.
Paid before October 15, 2010: € 150 Paid after October 15, 2010: € 200
Due to limited hotel capacity we cannot promise participation if registered after January 15, 2011.
The fee includes:
* Full participation in the conference program
* Participants delivering a presentation/paper: Printed report not later than Dec. 1st 2011. Special price € 20 for other participants
* 3 lunches, 4 dinners/parties excl. drinks
* Bus trip to Morgedal, Norsk Skieventyr, guiding and meal
* Social programmes, 4 nights, excl. drinks
* Souvenirs and surprises
* Free bus Sunday trip to Oslo
* Subsidized ticket to the Ski World Championships in Oslo Sunday, team ski jumping event.
The conference will be held at the campus of Telemark University College, in Bø.
Bø Hotel is a nice and convenient hotel located only 3 minutes walk away from the conference rooms at the Telemark University College. We have booked the whole hotel, but they have only 70 rooms. So, if you know you are coming please book already now. We have optional places to stay, but since this hotel will be our social centre at night, we prefer to have most people staying there.
Special conference price: NOK 780,- per night for a single room including breakfast, less when two share a room.
Bø Hotel: + 47 35 06 08 00
How to get there:
By plane to either:
Oslo Gardermoen Airport (OSL). Airport train to Oslo Central Station, then train Oslo – Bø ca. 2 hours, five times a day from 07:11 to 22:47.
Oslo Sandefjord Airport Torp (TRF) . Bus from airport goes to Bø every weekday 10 times a day. Ca 2.5 hours.
Conference Website: http://www.hit.no/ski
|Wednesday, February 23|
|15:00-17:30||Registration. Bø Hotel|
|18:30||Key note speech|
|19:15||Welcome dinner. Bø Hotel|
|Thursday, February 24|
|09:00-18:00||Key note, seminars, breaks, lunch. Telemark University College|
|19:00||Reception, pizza party, Social program|
|Friday, February 25|
|09:00-15:00||Program as Thursday|
|15:45-16:30||Bus to Morgedal, “Norsk Skieventyr”|
|16:30-22:00||Ski cultural program, light meal, social program|
|22:00||Bus back to Bø|
|Saturday, February 26|
|09:00-18:00||Program as Thursday|
|19:00||Final dinner party, Bø Hotel|
|Sunday, February 27|
|08:30||Bus to Oslo Central Station.|
Optional tickets to the OSLO 2011 FIS WC, team ski jumping event