17th ISHPES CONGRESS
Sites of sport in history
June 29 – July 2, 2016 in Paris, France
Call for abstracts [pdf version]
More information can be found on the ISHPES Congress page.
University Paris-Est Marne-la-Vallée
National School of Architecture of Paris
French Society for Sports History
LABEX Futurs urbains
Congress topic and subtopics
For the 17th ISHPES Congress, researchers are invited to submit papers related to “Sites of sport in history” – these words being taken in their widest sense. Papers are expected to meet the following sub-themes or one of the three specific symposia:
- Globalisation and glocalisation of sports cultures
- The spreading of sports cultures: acculturation and innovation
- Sports facilities: architectures and urban planning
- Outdoor sports in nature and cities
- Indoor sports and spatial segregation
- Sport as a contested space
- Gendered sports sites
- Sport in figurative space: art, literature, film
- Sports heritage and sites of memory
- Physical education and sport in schools/colleges/universities
- Welfare state and urban planning in sport
- Open paper
- Health promotion and sports sites
- Sports sites in closed institutions
- Conflict of land use in sports and tourist areas
Guidelines for abstract submission
1. Abstract submission is exclusively online via the ISHPES Conference Submission Page.
2. The online form will invite you to inform the following points :
A. Name of the author(s), your institutional affiliation and position, your office and mobile phone numbers, and email addresses.
B. The paper’s title followed by a 300 words (maximum) abstract of the proposed paper. The abstract should include the question(s) addressed in the paper, the evidence to be used, a precise statement of the argument and conclusions, and what significance the paper has to our understanding of sports history.
C. Please specify also to what sub-theme or symposium your abstract is related.
3. All abstracts will be assessed by two members of the scientific committee.
The official language of the congress is English.
Presenters need to be an ISHPES member to present a paper, and a person can only present one paper as first author. Join ISHPES now.
Annette R. Hofmann (Germany, head)
Maureen Smith (USA, head)
Zrinko Čustonja (Croatia)
Gerald Gems (USA)
Teresa Gonzáles (Spain)
Gigliola Gori (Italy)
Sandra Heck (Germany)
Keiko Ikeda (Japan)
Michael Krüger (Germany)
Leena Laine (Finland)
Gertrud Pfister (Denmark)
Pierre-Olaf Schut (France)
Patricia Vertinsky (Canada)
Abstract submission opening: December 1, 2015
Abstract submission closing: January 31, 2016 DEADLINE EXTENDED: FEBRUARY 15, 2016
Authors to be notified: February 25, 2016 MARCH 24, 2016