20th ISHPES CONGRESS
July 14-17, 2019 in Madrid, Spain
Milestones in the Histories of Sport and Physical Culture
Call for abstracts [pdf version]
More information can be found on the ISHPES Congress page.
Faculty of Sports Science and Physical Therapy, Universidad Europea de Madrid, Campus of Villaviciosa de Odón
The local organizing committee will be Gerardo Bielons, Director of Events GB and Teresa Gómez Aja from the Universidad Politécnica of Madrid
Partners: Universidad Europea de Madrid, Escuela Universitaria Real Madrid, Madrid
Congress topic and subtopics
Scholars are invited to submit sessions including three abstracts related to the main topic "Milestones in the Histories of Sport and Physical Culture," or individual abstracts on a subtopic.
- Sports, physical cultures, and physical education in time and space
- “Sport for all” on various continents, in various regions and nations
- Aspects of integration, inclusion and segregation in sports and physical cultures (including disability and sports)
- Sports, movement cultures, and health around the world
- New approaches to Olympic history
- Historical approaches to mega- events in sports
- Gender diversity in various physical culture and sports
- Religious impacts on physical culture and sports globally
- Sports, industrialization, technology, and social diversity (including workers’ sports)
- Open paper
Guidelines for abstract submission
The abstract must include:
- Name of the author(s), your institutional affiliation and position, your office and mobile phone numbers, and email addresses.
- The paper’s title followed by a 350 words (maximum) abstract of the proposed paper. The abstract should include the question(s) addressed in the paper, the evidence to be used, a precise statement of the argument and conclusions, and what significance the paper has to our understanding of sports history. You do not need any keywords.
- Please specify also to what sub-theme your abstract is related, this helps adding it to a session with similar papers
Guidelines for submission of a thematic session
A thematic session includes three papers relating to one topic.
The submission must include:
- An abstract describing the session
- Name of the author(s), your institutional affiliation and position, your office and mobile phone numbers, and email addresses for the session organizer/moderator and all paper authors
- The title and abstract for each paper
The official language of the congress is English.
Presenters need to be an ISHPES member to present a paper, and a person can only present one paper as first author. Join ISHPES now.
Participants are invited to submit their abstracts for podium/oral presentations only.
Abstract submission opening: December 21, 2019
Abstract submission closing: February 15, 2019 EXTENDED DEADLINE: MARCH 10, 2019
Authors to be notified: April 15, 2019
2019 Congress Scientific committee
Annette R. Hofmann (chair) (Ludwigsburg University of Education, Germany)
Francois Cleophas (Stellenbosch University, South Africa)
Gerald Gems (North Central College, United States)
Keiko Kikeda (Hokkaido University, Japan)
Malcolm Maclean (University of Gloucestershire, Great Britain)
Patricia Vertinsky (University of British Columbia, Canada)
Pierre-Olaf Schut (University Paris-Est Marne-la-Vallée, France)
Russell Field (University of Manitoba, Canada)
Teresa González Aja (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain)
Tomaz.Pavlin (University of Ljubljana, Slovenia)